Wednesday, July 28, 2010

ROAD TRIP! Installment 9 - MORE Follow-up - FINAL on Magellan RoadMate 3055

This will close the loop on my evaluation of the Magellan RoadMate 3055's Bluetooth capability - the ONE feature that seemed possessed by demons. Save for a few minutes after initial setup, I could not get it to work again - with my phone.

Since then, I have tried again and again. I've tried with other phones, all without success. Finally, I think I've solved the puzzle, successfully!

This time, I was determined to start fresh, with a clear head, as well.

THIS time, I switched on the unit and deleted all the address book entries I had permissioned for it to receive from my phone. Next, I deleted my phone as one among those with which the unit had been paired. Finally, in my Sony Ericsson C902 phone I deleted this unit from among those listed under paired devices in the Bluetooth application.

Now, everything really did start fresh.

I clicked on the map screen where the little phone icon is located. Next, I clicked that new screen's icon for tools and settings, bringing me so I could select to enable Bluetooth Auto Connect and the one indicating "Audible Maneuver Warning" to chime in with instructions as needed, even during a call. Then I clicked the box at the bottom of that window to "Pair Phone Now."

The next screen begins the process of pairing, instructing the user to enable Bluetooth on the phone and to make it discoverable, that is, seen by a searching device.

Fast forward through this successful outing. My phone asked if I would allow the Magellan to use my phone as a modem. I clicked yes, even though I do not have data enabled on this handset.

A short time from then came a screen asking to allow Magellan to connect with this device. I clicked yes.

Next was a screen asking to import contacts from the phone (up to 1,000 of them) so as to have them resident in the Magellan device. A most enthusiastic OK!

And then . . . it just worked. Again and again, I disabled and enabled Bluetooth on the Magellan. Each time, success. Magellan automatically connected to my phone (if the phone's Bluetooth was enabled.

Now, all is well and my initial consternation with this Magellan is gone. Sound is good (from the callers's perspective).

Accurate GPS performance, just as have already been experienced.

A big thumbs up on the Magellan RoadMate 3055! Easily found just now for under $200 including shipping from Amazon.

Now, think about how you might use BT on this GPS unit. If you're a regular, daily user of the device, such as might be the case for a salesperson, the 3055's BT could be a substitute for any other visor-mounted BT device. It would not replace an on-ear device for those who are in an out of the vehicle and need BT tethering throughout the day, in and out of the car. Take these thought-starters and run with them, deciding for yourself if this feature is of value.

If BT is not going to be used, consumers may wish to get a different unit without it, though, frankly there are not others without the feature, retaining the other useful features, for less money. One possibility may be to opt for the RoadMate 3045-LM, selling for about $230 (it's new and of limited availability). What's hot on this one - FREE lifetime map upgrades. Ditch the BT and pick up lifetime maps seems a worthwhile trade-off.

Regardless of your choice, you cannot, will not go wrong with these new Magellan devices, clearly at the top of my list of best tested PNDs.

No comments: