Monday, June 21, 2010

ROAD TRIP! Installment 4

Up early today, a busy one as I eluded to in #3. Off to Carlsbad Caverns to see only a small portion of what this one-of-a-kind national park has to offer.

Several tours are available. We were told that to see all that are available to the general public it would be more than a day's trek. Passes are good for three days. There are ranger-guided tours as well as self-guided tours using playback devices resembling very long TV remote controls.

We opted for a self-guided tour that began and ended with an elevator ride to and from the main tourist cavern. Neither of us is the 750 feet of stairs down, then back type, and that's just to enter and exit! We walked the main cavern path seeing the stalagmites (those are the ones on the bottom) and stalactites (the ones up above) of incalculable variety and unimaginable majesty as well as those that look as dainty as a thin needle of material, ready to drop from the slightest interference. Some were more mound-like or larger still, evidence of their particular creation from longest ago. It's not as it one can watch these things as they grow!

As if the main cavern, the Big Room, as it is called, was not enough, there are within it other caves, one of which is said to be 100 miles in length, open only to experienced researchers. And there was more!

Among the guided tour options are those which "recommend" the visitor to wear long sleeve shirt and long pants. Required are gloves, knee pads and four NEW AA batteries. Crawling through relatively tight spaces is one of the described activities, though we observed Rangers beefier than we who commented on their own participation in those tours.

Above ground in the parking lot, the temp was just this side of Hades, but below, it was cool and moist, though all that walking heated me up.

Normally, of course, it would be darker than dark down there, but the Park Service, with their advisors, strategically lighted the place so as to enhance the visitors' scenic overview and to highlight the most striking features. Yet, the lighting was tasteful and muted to maintain the mood and proper ambience of such a place.

Our visit was a unique experience and one I shall carry with me forever. Readers are encouraged to visit this National Park and many others among this country's unique National Park System. Fascinating and enlightening, to be sure.

In addition, one of my most favorite of Ken Burns' for-PBS documentary series is all about The National Parks: America's Best Idea. This series is a MUST watch for students and anyone interested in some fascinating history of this wonderful country of ours. When originally broadcast in glorious High Def I recorded and watched each of the six parts. I cannot more highly recommend this program. Rent it on Blu-ray DVD, if you are so equipped or gift it to someone who may find it of interest. Viewers will not be disappointed. Our park system is unique in all the world and almost all are fabulous destinations.

And, of course, inside I brought my toys! As if you expected less. I geeked/nerded up with the super-cool Fenix flashlight (which proved to be the brightest torch we encountered during our inside visit.

Also along were the Flip Slide HD, the Kodak PlaySport and the EVO 4G that captured comparative visuals. Knowing that photos and videos would be iffy at best in that space and with that provided lighting,

I also took along my own "old faithful" still camera - an aging Kodak V705 camera that I love to this day for several reasons, despite its now-old technology. It is "only" a six megapixel camera that, truth be told, is really plenty good and of sufficient megapixels to render a fine 11 x 17 print, or even larger. The trusty V705 is a dual-lens model, of which there were two made by Kodak. One lens is a generous 24mm wide, a feature not lost on this snapshooter. The other takes it all the way out to mm with a x optical zoom. It also has settings for candlelit circumstances, which proved ideal for the mostly dimly lit cavern.

I snapped several photos down below with the V705, a conventional, if old, digital camera with and without flash. This allowed comparison of its output with the non-traditional still photo capabilities of the Kodak PlaySport's 5MP capability, sans flash, as well as the flash-equipped EVO 4G's 8MP ultra-modern (for a smartphone) camera. You'll see and you may draw your own conclusions.

The PlaySport features sparse adjustments in still mode, with brightness being one of these few. I set brightness to high. I also shot video or some of the intentionally lit areas, as well as some lit only by my Fenix, just because I could.

Other stills from the V705 in its by candlelit mode were also shot with light supplied by the Fenix light. That is SOME flashlight!! Geeks take note.

Finally, I snapped a few off with the EVO 4G, which is clearly out of its league in this kind of underground ambience, which I can excuse. After all, one cannot expect a smartphone, even one with Google inside to do everything perfectly well!

Leaving the Caverns and heading off for San Antonio and The Alamo tomorrow, I am once again riding shotgun and writing while wirelessly tethered to the EVO 4G hotspot. This can be addictive, I must admit.

I was also determined to try the Magellan RoadMate 3055's Bluetooth capability again. Here, I hit a roadblock as has occurred with other GPS units I've tried that have the "bonus" of built-in BT. Let us just say I tried to connect unsuccessfully several times, deleting the Sony Ericsson C902's presence on it and the Magellan's presence on the C902. It worked well just that once yesterday. So, for now, I have abandoned, just for now, this trial. I WILL try again using the EVO 4G and then, as needed, with Pam's Motorola Z9, but not today. I am stymied! How is it that I was connected, then not, then, at one point, the C902 showed it was connected to the RoadMate 3055, but this was a lie. It's baffling. Ah, enough for now.

We are nearing San Antonio and you know what that means . . . time to figure out our dining spot for this evening. I'll check out the three Man V. Food establishments I will look at and two DDD choices.

I know that the two DDD choices are no-go for us this Monday evening, either due to being closed altogether or not open late enough for our arrival into town. Of the three featured by Adam Richman, one is pizza and we'll pass. Of the other two, one is a burger joint and the other is a bakery and café. I'll call to check them out, now that we are 70 miles from our destination.

By default, the 24/7 open Lulu's Bakery & Café wins as the burger joint is closed. The meal was, well, eh. Burgers cooked more done than I like. Chicken fried steak was just OK. Fried Mushrooms were kind of tasty. Onion rings were decent. This really is a DIVE, but folks were nice, quite nice indeed. Homey, folksy, atmosphere, this is the epitome of a "greasy spoon" place. We saw but did not dare try one of their signature FOUR POUND cinnamon rolls.

Do not forge to head over to my blog on YouTube chronicle of the trip. Stills are coming soon, too, and I'll let you know where to go to see comparative still images. All stills were taken with the 8MP camera in the EVO 4G smartphone (Sprint), the 5MP still capability of the Kodak PlaySport and with my trusty ol' Kodak V705 dual lens wide angle point-and-shoot camera so you can see what a dedicated still camera, though aged, are like.

No comments: